Learn How to Protect Your Business From Malware Attacks
Cybersecurity has been in the news a lot lately. Have you got a policy to protect your network from threats? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! When it comes to most malware, including ransomware, it’s easier to be proactive and prevent an attack then it is to fix things after the fact.
You need a cybersecurity policy, and you need to enforce it. At the end of the day, it’s your responsibility to prevent attacks. Here are five tips to get you started:
- Know the Basics/ Practice Safe Computing: Don’t open any attachments until they’re safely scanned. Don’t download anything from a website unless you are absolutely sure about it. Even then, scan any downloads, even from trusted sites.
- Have a Full Set Of Security Tools: A comprehensive security suite should include firewalls, web traffic blocks, screen for incoming links, filter junk mail, and scan your drives for malware on a scheduled basis.
- Be Wary of Links: Bad links can come from anywhere: email, text and websites. If it looks suspect, DON’T CLICK IT! Even if it’s from someone you know. If you’re worried, contact your IT people.
- Don’t BYOD without Precautions!: A major source of network infections revolves around the use of personal devices in the office. Allowing staff to use their own devices for business can set your entire network up for a disaster. Protect your network and make sure any devices are protected and authorized before allowing them to connect to your network.
- Be Vigilant and Keep Training Current: Do not assume your employees are well versed in security protocols. Provide periodic training, create a monthly update and include best practices.
These are just a few simple tips to get you started. With proper tools in place, threat training, and policies you can prevent malware attacks from happening before they start. Everyone is vulnerable. Be sure to take a proactive approach to keep your data and systems safe.
Are you looking for ways to keep your company data safe? Our SMB Office Challenge will test you! Find out how you compare to other SMBs and receive a FREE copy of our 2016 Office Print Policy Guide full of best practices you can start using today!